Wednesday, September 24, 2014

The Avengers brings in God

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSnHM3rn1jc

So recently, Bryan has been making me watch the entire Marvel super hero movies in order, and the other day it was time to watch The Avengers. Into the movie, this one scene came up in which Captain America brings up the topic of God. In the scene, the woman Natasha, says how he shouldn't try and get involved in a particular fight because they are practically gods (Thor). Captain America responds by saying, "there is only one God, and I'm pretty sure He doesn't dress like that". When I first heard this, I got so excited that they put that into the movie. There weren't any other lines in which God was mentioned in the movie, but it got me so excited that God was included in such a big movie, and that they didn't down play Him, or make fun of Him or anything. They simply brought God into the open, and said there is only one God, and not multiple. It got me excited to think that even if people don't believe in God, or attend church or whatever the case, they just heard a simple statement that there is only one God, and that He doesn't dress up like a fictional character. I am excited that at least people will hear this truth in a pop cultural movie. 
I don't think I am 100% sure on how I would bridge this. I think I would just try and add to the truth that they begin with in the movie. I would try to build a bridge saying that God isn't some fictional character like ones we read about daily (like Thor), but that God is real and is daily involved in our lives and isn't there to ruin our lives. (I suspect the conversation would then turn into why do bad things happen then). 

No comments:

Post a Comment